PIOPIO's 1924 BUS BACK ON THE ROAD!
After 6 months of careful attention to detail and perusing of the original plans and specifications held in the National Archives, Max Laver and Mark Carter have rebuilt the 1921 Model T Ford truck acquired by the Piopio College Trust to be a replica of New Zealand's 1st school bus.
The replicated bus named "Arapae" (the other two originals were Te Mapara and Paemako) was unveiled by Barbara Kuriger M.P. for King Country at a function held in Max Laver's workshop on Saturday 6th August.
The final stage of this project - that of securing sufficient funds to build a display garage in Moa Street Piopio to house the bus is under way with financial support being sought from present and past pupils and residents and a variety of Trusts. This building with AV commentary and illustrated display panels re the place Piopio and districts play in the history of school transport will be a further "Cause for pause" as travellers on SH3.
Contributions can be made to the Piopio Trust's "GiveaLittle" page, to P Houghton c/0 1538C SH3 RD5 Te Kuiti 3985 or to bank a/c 03 0449 0107019 00
Arrangements are being made through Barbara Kuriger, MP for King Country, for the replica bus driven by Peter Nicol of Threeway Motors to be taken to Parliament in Wellington to fulfil a promise made to the Ministry of Education.